Tuesday, September 23, 2008

The Saga Continues (sorry for the Length Yo)

The next few weeks got really interesting here in Monterrey. My fourth week here my roommate Daniel and I found a church that we attend here and it is absolutely amazing. Its crazy how the commonality of the Holy Spirit brings people together yo, even in different countries. Daniel was born in Rwanda and now lives in Mexico, and its really cool that we're roommates because this summer one of the things that Moe Hafeez and I were praying for while we were on Impact Project in Missouri was that I would find some Christian friends to kick it with and hold me accountable while I'm here in Mexico. The Lord definitely one-uped me by giving me a Christian roomate. Banging right? But yeah yo, we're hanging out with Mexican Christians down here and its nothing short of the start of a good joke, A Mexican, and Canadian, and an American walk into the library...Whatever the punchline is...its going to be hilarious. But that was really cool finding fellow believers to kick it with down here yo. We have so much fun yo. I'm working on my spanish constantly because church is in spanish, so I get to listen and follow along with the spanish Johnny Mac (a John MacAuthor Study Bible for those who aren't "hip".), and my cell phone which, yes being the Jesus-Freak that I am I do have the Bible on there. Preciate it AJ.


I've seen some really cool things since I've been here though. The first week some friends of our host family took us to a museum that used to be a Fort on the top of one of the mountains here. Awesome yo. It was so beautiful cause you could see the whole city, a 360 view yo. Monterrey is the City of Mountains. It's called this because the city is surrounded by mountains. It is the most beautiful in my opinion in the morning time, because there are sometimes clouds that surround the peak of the mountains and then rays of sunlight shine through and hit the mountain just right...ahhhh sheer beauty yo. God is so awesome. It reminds me of scripture when the Lord would ascend upon a mountain. Of course I wasn't there....but if it was anything even close to that, which I'm absolutely positive that my experience pales in comparison, anyway, I know it had to be amazing. I need to see how I can work out adding a photo album, or something so I can share some photos with ya'll. I'll see what I can do and keep you posted.


I've also traveled to San Miguel de Allende and Guanajuato. Very beautiful cities. They are more traditional that Monterrey which is a pretty modern town, however Guanajuato being the most traditional of the three. But I loved walking the cobblestone roads, seeing the old style shops, eating at restaurants by the lake, it was wonderful. We went for the Mexican Independence day which they call El Grito. Actually I think the full name is El Grito de Dolores Its called this becuase of the battle cry given at the start of the Mexican War of Independence by Miguel Hidalgo in Guanajuato. Anyway, we were there for that and it was soooo great yo. Thousands of people in the street enjoying and having a good time. Tons of GREAT FOOD!!! Moe, you would have loved it bruh, you too Sandy. No spoonbread down here though:( but yeah yo, we toured some of the churches and the Cathedral in San Miguel, absolutely beautiful. They were so large and if you get into a little church history you start to think about why some of the catholic cathedrals were built the way they're built. Interesting stuff yo. I won't go into it now but maybe sometime. But yeah we had dinner in this restaurant  overlooking the Cathedral and the street by the garden called the Parish of San Miguel. It was a postcard yo.  The food was awesome too. I don't remember what I had but it was good. Ohhh and a quick note about food. If you don't eat your eggs in the morning with avocado and tomato, you're missing out. Bueno. The first day we walked around and tried different restaurants, did a little souvenir shopping, and what not. The town was so beautiful yo. We went to this little breakfast place and I had breakfast at 2:40pm. It was wonderful but everybody thought I was weird for eating breakfast food so late. That night we walked around and went to a local restaraunt owned a family that lives in San Miguel. Most of the trip I was eating so of course I loved it. But there I had a pollo de chipotle which was awesome. In Guanajuato we toured a torture prison that was used during the inquisition and is now a museum, it was weird because the mummy's that they had were real. The minerals that grow in Guanajuato help to preserve the bodies. Weird yo, interesting, but weird, they would do some sick stuff. Guanajuato is a big mining town and we also toured a mine. That was pretty cool cause we got to see some of the jewelry made there in Guanajuato. The last day was spent in San Miguel, it was the day of the holiday and I told you all about that already. To explain how many people there were though, we literally could not move from where we were. You could not push through the crowd without literally knocking a mass of people over. If one fell, we all would fall. It was like a bunch of brown crayons packed into a little box. It was great though. Minus the rain.


Its mad interesting being down here though, I've had people ask to touch my hair, if I was from Jamaica, Honduras, if I smoked weed (and being surprised when I told them no), I get stared at all the time yo. But its all good, its kinda cool being "one of those those real dark people that we saw on tv". I get to shatter some false perceptions and stereotypes. I've actually had a German come up to me and tell me that I just shattered all the stereotypes and prejudices he had about me. He said the first time he saw me he was like "yeah he smokes weed", then he found out that I didn't and I was a Christian and it was like he had just found out that Pluto wasn't a planet. (sorry for anyone who's world just got rocked with that info but yes...Pluto is not a planet, thats what they say anyway.) But yeah yo I'm sure I've talked your ears off...or typed your eyes out enough. More updates coming soon yo. True Love is in Jesus Christ. Grace and Peace!

No comments: